Mississippi Magazine has its readers poll Best of Mississippi out.
Congratulations to Big Bad Breakfast for the number one breakfast, and Ajax for best cornbread. Oxford also got best downtown area. Oxford newcomer Soulshine got best pizza.
As is usual with readers polls, there’s some head scratching moments– it’s really sad if Newks is the best the state has to offer for a deli, and, if there’s any resemblance between the Little Dooey’s barbecue sold in Oxford for about a year and that in Starkville, then its number one ranking proves there isn’t any good barbecue to be had in Mississippi.
Oxford does pretty well for a small town well outside Jackson, the magazine’s main market. The town placed as a weekend destination, and these Oxford businesses or entities all placed:
- Taylor Catfish(Cock of the Walk, where I’ve not eaten in decades, was first).
- The MidTown Farmer’s Market (Farmers Market)
- Wild Mushroom and Blue Crab Belle Chevre Cheesecake from City Grocery (for appetizers). Ravine (for brunch)
- Ajax (best blue plate)
- Two Stick (sushi)
- Chocolate cobbler at Taylor Catfish (desserts).
- The Gertrude Ford Center (performing arts center)
- Rowan Oak (historic site)
- The Mary Buie University Museum
- Southside Gallery (place to buy art).
My interest is frequently caught– or my personal judgments found– below the number one ranking. There’s the Mayflower, which placed in Seafood, for instance, and I’ve wanted to try the friend chicken at the Old Country Store in Lorman, particularly since the Cynical Cook blogged about it.